North-West University Libraries home page
PUK Nuus-versameling |  Afrikaanse blad North-West University Libraries home page
 Library Services
 PUK News

PUK history

On 29 November 1869, the founders of the Theological School (RCSA) in Burgersdorp decided that education would also be offered to prospective teachers and to students without any particular profession in mind. Early in 1877, a literary division/department was established.

In 1919, for the sake of subsidies, the Literary department was separated from the Theological School and "Het Potchefstroom Universiteitskollege voor Christelike Hooger Onderwijs" (PUK) came into being as a higher education institution independent from the GKSA.

After repeated attempts, the PUK in 1933 legally regained its title "for Christian Higher Education". In 1951 the PUK was recognised as an independent university known as the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education (PU for CHE).

In 2004, the PU for CHE became the Potchefstroom Campus of the North-West University.

This collection consists out of news related to the PUK during this period.

How to search